(Total Star Wars post. You’ve been warned.)
I saw The Last Jedi a few weeks ago. Before I write any analysis on the movie, and there will be a lot, I wanted to finally write down my thoughts following The Force Awakens. Some of these happened, some didn’t.
(Note: these were also written before Carrie Fisher died in December 2017.)
Episode VIII Pre-Thoughts
Rey’s character progress was inevitable. Fans clamoring for her development would have their questions answered. She is the main protagonist. The strength of Episode 8 will rely on the development, storylines, and interactions of other characters.
- Kylo Ren needs to get stronger. Kylo’s growth needs to be faster than Anakin’s. He needs a need to be badder. He cannot be a weak antagonist.
- Who is in charge of the galaxy? We need a Coruscant scene. Maybe Leia addressing the Senate as Amidala did in the prequels.
- Finn needs a win. In Episode 7, Finn is a sidekick. He needs to lead or he becomes as relevant as Jar Jar Binks.
- Leia needs to be focus against Kylo Ren. Mothers don’t play a big role in the Star Wars saga. It is time to change that.
- Luke needs to fall. Unless the final battle is Luke versus Snoke – which might not be climatic unless Snoke wins – Luke needs to fall. Luke is too strong of a character. Luke is a legend. Unless Luke has amnesia, which is doubtful.
- Lando needs a cameo.
- Chewie needs retribution. His best friend was killed. A Kylo Ren versus Chewie confrontation would be very interesting.